Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

[Locked] Is this game locked at 30fps

OP Doom265

The other day I was in a BTB match and I swear the game was running in between 50 to 60fps. I play on a 4K TV and with an Xbox One S. Is this normal?
It's not unheard of for backward compatible games with uncapped frame rates to ramp up to ~60fps (GTA 4 is a good example. It's not a very good thing as the frame rate will jump about wildly as the game gets more or less chaotic). I haven't noticed this on any Halo games myself. I also have a 4K TV, but I'm playing on an Xbox One X., which probably doesn't make any difference for Reach as it's not enhanced in any way.

Thing is, when they first emulated Reach, it had all kinds of frame rate issues and required a patch to fix the problem. Initially, it would get all choppy and slow down to clunky, jittery, nearly frame-by-frame stuttering whilst reloading, for example. I would imagine since it required a patch to fix the frame rate (among other things) that capping the frame rate would have been a priority ... or at least should have been. Especially for a multiplayer shooter where people on the 360 are playing with people on XB1. Folks whose frames are a stable 30fps playing with people whose frames are flailing all over the shop would be madness.

Let's get Digital Foundry on this. lol. Then we need to figure out why Reach is the only Halo not be brought to current gen. At least enhance the damn thing. It's a gorgeous game, slap some more pixels in there, Microsoft! That's why we bought your fancy console!
I don’t think so. Reach is capped at 30 I believe with some drops into the 20s, Firefight not withstanding. The 360 emulation does not unlock the framerate but it does make it more stable. So you’ll notice significant drops in only a few areas such as Firefight with tons of enemies. What you might have been seeing is a more stable framerate on One compared to 360, which would have made it seem a higher frame rate. Either that or the motion blur might have given that feeling. I could be wrong though, but I’m fairly certain Reach doesn’t have an unlocked framerate.
Doom265 wrote:
The other day I was in a BTB match and I swear the game was running in between 50 to 60fps. I play on a 4K TV and with an Xbox One S. Is this normal?
Resolution likely doesn't matter, but in any case, I play on the X and the framerate never goes higher than 30. It's locked so the console can support the graphic quality. Most games do this. If it wasn't unlocked, the framerate would normally dropped harder than when locked at 30. 2 examples I know are Sonic 06 and Sonic Unleashed. For Sonic 06, the game runs at 60 FPS at all times on both 360 and PS3, and is a reason why the game frequently has slowdowns, especially in Crisis City. Sonic Unleashed however is the best proof. In the 360 version, it's locked to 30, but the PS3 version is not and can get to 60FPS at some times (but very rarely since Unleashed graphics were... very impressive at the time). Because of that, the PS3 version dropped frames harder than 360, even tho it's hardware is superior.
In the end, the game likely managed to trick you into thinking you were playing at 60FPS.

If you have any footage to prove that you were running the game at 60, share it. If it does, it should look like this. (WARNING: Motion sickness).
Doom265 wrote:
There's absolutely no way it was reaching frame rates that high. If actual Xbox 360 hardware wasn't able to handle Halo: Reach at 60fps then I promise you that an emulated version on the Xbox One can't either.

Maybe it did go over 30fps as I've seen Halo: Combat Evolved on the original Xbox hit around 40fps (with an actual counter,) but - especially on a Big Team Battle map - you aren't getting anything as high as you say.

Remember that frame rate and anti-aliasing aren't the same thing contrary to what many console-only gamers say so just because the game may have looked less jaggy on your TV for whatever reason that doesn't say anything about the frame rate.
Sometimes the FPS spikes to about 60 for a second or two right after I die. I can confirm that fps spikes DO indeed happen, however I haven’t been able to find a way to make this happen while I’m alive.

Edit: The FPS spike sometimes happens while scoped as well.
btrmlk wrote:
Sometimes the FPS spikes to about 60 for a second or two right after I die. I can confirm that fps spikes DO indeed happen, however I haven’t been able to find a way to make this happen while I’m alive.

Edit: The FPS spike sometimes happens while scoped as well.
Please don't revive old topics thanks
香蕉视频观看无限制版-香蕉视频无限次观看-香蕉app免费下载